Monday, August 3, 2009

Process is as bitter, while Success is as sweet.

Just allow me to tell you guys what I had been doing.
Recently, one to two months ago, I got a new part time job.
It was one of the most challenging job I had yet to take up.
It was to be a telemarketer.
Through the phone, I am suppose to identify myself as a personal assistant to my financial advisor.

Sometimes, I really appreciate making phone calls to very friendly and understanding people. They are nice to chat with, easily agreeable and at times, I became their listening ear. Through this job, I am able to partially walk into different types of walks of life. Some whose life is all a total mess up such as retrenchment, some in the midst of bankruptcy and some even worst, a retiree living alone where all their kids had left them. However, some are really interesting. They are in the midst of marriage! Some are about to have kids! Some are about to have grand children! Thus, in this job, I did have a wide range of experience talking to various types of people.

Some nasty phone call goes like this.

Me: Hello Sir, my name is Edward and I am calling on behalf of **** ***** *******. Would it be a good time to talk to you now?
Sir: You stupid idiot do you know what time is it now?! Why you call me now?!
(I checked my time and it is only 8pm in the night. WTF?)
Me: (Acting cool) Oh I am so sorry sir, I got you at a wrong time. May I...
(Hung up)

Some are worst.

Me: Hello Sir, my name is Edward and I am calling on behalf of **** ***** *******. Would it be a good time to talk to you now?
Sir: You crazy ar calling me at this time?! DON'T CALL ME AGAIN AR!!!!!
(It was 8.30pm. WTF?)
He hung up, which is a goooood thing.

But in any instance, this is life. We encounter many unpleasant experiences. It will make us stronger, and even better in the future, as we are to face such circumstances as we grow up.

Some calls come from the database (cold calling) while some come from roadshows, which is what happen today.

Today, I decided to take up the full challenge of getting the numbers, and later calling the people up as a follow up.

Last night I had another cycling trip to Kranji with all my uncle buddies. My lil brother came along too! It was a great ride, got my new aerobar.. ANYWAY, I slept at 4am after talking to someone of my interest. I woke up at 12noon! Supposingly, I was suppose to report for work at 10am!

Thanks to my gracious and merciful finanical advisor (not guan yin ar).
He gave me allowance time to rush down! Thanks ar! Me damn paiseh man!
Reach there at around 1.30pm. Gosh I was such a mess mentally.

I must say that in order for one to actually perform physically well, we must be able to be mentally stable and of course, filled with positivity in thinking. However, sadly to say, I was quite screwed up because I did had a major qurral with my mum and certain things that were haunting my mind so badly, I lost all the confidence I had. But thanks to my finanical advisor, he gave me alot of courage and strength and knowledge on how to approach them for a survey.

In the first two hours, I screwed up pretty badly. But as the words of encouragement and strength came into my mind, slowly I picked up the skills and confidence I needed to actually approach people. After the whole roadshow, I managed to approach 65 people for good quality survey which I will do follow up calls on them soon! I am looking forward to it because I am really wanting to assist them.

In any instance, I must say that the process of getting to approach people was so much of a headache, thinking how would people reject you etc, but on the other hand, with a positive mindset, I went full steam ahead and got successful results. I am proud of myself and awaiting for the next roadshow. God knows what's next!

No comments: